viernes, 7 de junio de 2013

UNIT N° 6

GRAMMAR
6A Have to/don’t have to
Use have to/don’t have to to talk about obligation.
Use don’t have to to show it’s not necessary to do something.
+
-
?
I/You/We/They have to start work now.
You/We/They don’t have to start work now.
Do I/we/you/they have to start work now?
He/She/It has to start work now.
He/She/It doesn’t have to start work now.
Does he/she/it have to start work now?

6B Past simple: irregular verbs
Regular verbs
End with –ed (see 2D)
Change-changed
Open-opened
Print-printed
Close-closed
Irregular verbs

Be-was/were
Lose-lost
Run-ran
Drive-drove

6C Past continuous
Use the past continuous to talk about actions in the past which were in progress at a particular time.
+
-
?
I/He/She/It was sitting in the garden.
I/He/She/It wasn’t sitting in the garden.
Was I/he/she/it sitting in the garden?
You/We/They were playing tennis.
You/We/They weren’t playing tennis.
Were you/we/they playing tennis?


Short answers
Yes, I/he/she/it was.
No, I/he/she/it wasn’t.
Yes, you/we/they were.
No, you/we/they weren’t.

6D Past continuous and past simple
Use the past continuous and the past simple together to describe two things that happen at the same time in the past.
Use the past continuous to describe a longer action which started first, and was in progress.
Past continuous
Past simple
I was driving in the rain
and I crashed.
Were they having dinner
when you arrived?

6E Clause linking with when
Use when to join actions in the past continuous and past simple.
I was waiting for the train.
It started to rain.
I was waiting for the train when it started to rain.
When it started to rain, I was waiting for the train.
Past time expressions
Use a past time expression with a past tense to say when something happened.
Last night/month/Friday/weekend
I saw a car accident last month.
Yesterday, yesterday morning
They caught the criminal yesterday.
The day before yesterday the week before last
Somebody knocked down Miss Setter the day before yesterday.
Two days/a week/a month/a year ago
We bought this car two years ago.

VOCABULARY
6CVocabulary
Accountnumber: Número de cuenta
Cash: Efectivo
Cash machine: Cajero automático
Cashier: Cajero
Envelope: Sobre
Cheque: Cheque
Creditcard: Tarjeta de Credito
ID: Identificación
Stamp: Sello
Traveller’s cheque: Cheque de pasejero
Post code:Código postal
6D Vocabulary
Brake:Frenos
Chapter VI
The following day, a rainstorm keeps Mary indoors. She realizes that she is beginning to like both Martha and her stories of her family, and feels an affinity with both Dickon and Martha's mother, though she has never met either of them. To keep herself occupied despite the rain, she is not concerned that anyone will try to stop her, because no one in the manor much troubles themselves with her. In Yorkshire, unlike in India, Mary must fend for herself. As she walks through the manor's corridors, Mary notices many portraits of grand, antique-looking men and women hanging upon the walls; their faces seem to wonder at how a girl from India came to live on their estate. She is much interested in the portraits of children, and even speaks to one of a girl who looks like Mary herself: the girl is curious-looking, and a green parrot is perched upon her finger. Mary wishes the girl in the portrait were there to keep her company. Upon entering one of the rooms that open onto the corridor, Mary finds yet another portrait of the girl who looks so like her. The girl's stare unnerves her, and she leaves to explore a number of other rooms, stopping finally in one that might have once been a lady's sitting room. There, Mary happens upon a collection of ivory elephants; as she knows all about both ivory and elephants from her life in India, she is quite taken with them. Suddenly, she hears a soft rustling sound behind her, and turns to find a family of gray mice living in one of the room's velvet cushions. Mary thinks to herself that, though the mice and she may be the only living things in the manor at that moment, the mice, having each other, are not lonely at all. Upon going back into the corridor, Mary again hears a child's cry; when she goes off in search of its source, she is apprehended by a furious Mrs. Medlock, who takes her back to her room.
EXERCISES
Fill withhave to / has to or don't have to / doesn't have to.
Principio del formulario
  1. Every man      has to     do military service in my country. It's obligatory.
  2. When do we    have to     pay for the next term?
  3. Policemen    have to    wear a uniform.
  4. A pilot     has to     train for many years.
  5. Does Susan     have to    work long hours?
  6. I      don’t have to    get up early on Sundays. I can stay in bed.
  7. You     have to    have a visa to come to Ukraine.
  8. You     don’t have to     do it if you don't want to.
  9. My daughter    doesn’t have to    cook, because I cook for the whole family.
  10. We     don’t have to pay. It's free.
Final del formulario


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario